Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Once Knew a White Dog Named Alfredo

I have been on a kind of a Tex-Mex kick for a while, but if left dormant for long enough, my love or Italian Food will always show back up eventually. In particular, my love of pasta will not be denied. I swear, it's the best thing we whiteys ever stole from Asia. Considering my love of all things pasta, I figured it would be cool to start posting some non tomato based sauces to go along with my massive marinara post. I am starting with Alfredo, because pretty much every time I serve it, I get begged for the recipe. Until recently, I just told people to thicken some seasoned soymilk with flour (which is basically what I do) but I have been realizing that not everyone is going to be able to take that and run with it. So I have been paying more attention to what I am actually doing, the last few times that I made it, and this recipe is the result of that.

Alfredo sauce, as Americans know it, is really a bastardization of an Italian dish, rather than a direct translation. The Italian original was basically just cheese and pasta, with a little butter or cream to thin it out. The Americanized version is really more similar to a Mornay sauce, but this is all just my food nerdy rambling. We all are probably thinking of a very similar thing when I say Alfredo Sauce, and who cares if it is traditional, if it tastes good and we can make it vegan.

This Alfredo Recipe is awesomely thick and creamy, even in the absence of dairy, and packed full of garlic, since mostly everything I cook is packed full of garlic. If you are less into scarring vampires than I am, feel free to use less, but don't be shocked when you figure out that it is way tastier my way. I love it in the more traditional ways, i.e. on some serious, chunky pasta, but I also love it on just about everything. It kicks ass on steamed veggies, I will dip pretzels or other snack chips in it, and just the other day, I made an awesome paninni with left over Alfredo, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients:
1/2 med onion, minced
1/2 head of garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 - 2 tsp salt (to taste)
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 pint(16floz) soy milk
oil

Equipment:
1 - sauce pan
Knife, cutting board, etc...

Cooking:
  • Sautee the garlic, onion, seasoning and salt over high heat in enough oil that there is a few tbsps of loose oil in the pan.
  • Once the onions and garlic are soft and translucent, sprinkle the flour in a little at a time, the goal being to make a thin paste, not a dough.
  • turn heat down to medium and continue to cook the flour for 10ish minutes until it turns a blond/brown color
  • add the soy milk and nutritional yeast and stir constantly as the sauce thickens, until you start to see peaks and ridges stay in the surface of the sauce (or until it reaches your desired thickness.) DO NOT LET SAUCE BOIL
  • If the sauce becomes too thick, you can add a little of your pasta water to it, to thin it down, before serving.

4 comments:

  1. ooh i like this idea!! artie you areinspiring me. i had some vegan alfredo sauce at candle 77 and it was cashew based... ur's looks real good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the food at Candle. My aunt used to cook at the one on Central Park West. I have made cashew Alfredo before, but it is way more complicated, and that many cashews is EXPENSIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a nice change from the usual nutritional yeast sauce we have all probably made. I mixed it with a veggie blend and macaroni shells. Pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds delicious Amanda. I think I will give that a shot next time I cook some up.

    ReplyDelete