Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cinco De Mayo

I absolutely adore Hispanic culture, particularly Central American. I love the language, I love the art, I love the style and I LOVE the food. I think one of the most interesting things about any culture is seeing how all of the different aspects of that culture mix to create an identity. The families breed the politicians and revolutionaries. The politicians and revolutionaries inspire the artists (or are the artists.) The food appears in the art and on the tables and feeds the families. This interaction seems to be so much more obvious in Hispanic cultures and I find it fascinating.

Of course if I love cooking as much as I do and I love Central and South American food as much as I do, it only makes sense that Cinco De Mayo is one of my favorite holidays. It also happens to be right around the corner. I try to have an epic tex-mex feast, on Cinco De Mayo, every year(and on as many other days of the year as I can fit it in.) So today, I had the idea to post all the recipes you will need for such a feast, in one big post.

The problem here, is that I very rarely use a recipe for anything and when I make things up, I rarely take notes. So instead of sitting down and writing out a normal post, I have spent pretty much this whole day remembering and writing out the recipes for all of my favorite tex-mex dishes. I also noticed that this is going to be a truly monstrous post if I put it all together. My solution is to make several posts, over the course of the next few weeks, each with a few recipes. This way you can have time to look through them and decide which ones you want to try, in time to get ingredients and cook your very own Cinco De Mayo feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment